Dear Muslim Community Members
Protocol for Burial at GSMC of Patients Dying of Coronavirus:
CDC guidelines and State Law require that any death due to Coronavirus be handled in a specific way. We are therefore obligated to follow the rules and have implemented the following protocol:
- Mike Lofton of All Seasons Funeral Home (Tel:916 869 5206), having handled cases of Coronavirus will handle ALL cases of Coronavirus death at our cemetery. Only he is authorized to be called.
- Mike would follow the State requirements of sealing the may’yat in a body bag and then transporting it to our storage facilities in a sealed box/casket to be buried without anyone touching it.
- Janazah prayers would be offered AFTER burial. There would be NO ghusal.
- The immediate family members need to self-quarantine and if they attend the janazah they need to keep a safe distance.
- Maximum number of people allowed at the janazah is TEN and everyone would be asked to observe the standard rules of washing hands and distancing themselves from others.
Protocol for Regular Burial at GSMC:
- janazah announcements should be made while keeping group gathering restriction in mind (no more than 10 individuals).
- Only immediate family members of the deceased should be present during Janaza prayer and burial process. This number can not exceed 10 individuals.
- Those who come for Janaza prayer should park their vehicles behind the building and away from public view.
- We can not control number of people and their cemetery visit times. Therefore, Cemetery gates will be closed for general visitation until State of California mandatory public gathering restrictions are lifted.
Cemetery management realizes the challenges our community will face due to these guidelines. But, if we want to stay open for community needs, we have no choice. There should be comfort knowing that these are temporary measures and, with everyone’s prayers, our operation will become normal soon - Insha Allah. We thank you for your understanding and anticipate full cooperation during these unprecedented times.
PLEASE abide by these basic rules for your own safety and for the safety of others in attendance.
According to Imam Qasmi, (Downtown Masjid) “Salat al-Janazah is not an individual obligation. Even If a few people can pray Salat al-Janazah, Allah (swt) will accept the prayer from everyone.” He referenced the following two hadiths:
- Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “If a Muslim dies and forty people, who do not associate anything with Allah in worship, participate in the funeral prayer over him, Allah will accept their intercession for him.” [Muslim].
- Marthad bin `Abdullah Al-Yazni reported: When Malik bin Hubairah (May Allah be pleased with him) offered a funeral prayer and found a small number of participants, he would divide them into three rows and would say that the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “If three rows of men offer funeral prayer over anyone, his entry into Jannah will become certain.” Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].
If you have any questions, please call:
Sajad Janmohamed, M.D. 916-342-3408 or
Dr. Syed Khasimuddin (916) 505-1681
Cemetery Location: 6330 Eagles Nest Road Off Jackson Road
Greater Sacramento Muslim Cemetery
P.O. Box 3094
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741